Semi New to the forum (hopefully coming around this time)

Go down

Semi New to the forum (hopefully coming around this time)

Post by Nefariousfiend on 22nd February 2013, 1:14 am

Hello everyone it's been about two years since my last attempt to get into airsoft. I was picking up some gear and I wrecked my car on the way home and haven't had a chance to get back in since. Well now I'm looking back into it. I want to know the top brands for rifles looking at AEGs might consider a gas blow back. I was looking and the magpul masada. Price isn't a big thing but don't want to spend over a grand on an airsoft rifle. Also I was wondering how often do you guys meet. I'm in between this and paintball which I use to play. I really want to play airsoft but from wht I recall sometimes it's months before a meet I was hoping for a little more often due to my schedule keeps me working some weekends. Out of the two I prefer airsoft but I know it is limited around the bay and panhandle. Anyway it's been so long and I'm sure there is new stuff just wanted some ideas. I don't like starting cheap and trying to get a better gun later. I like to get the good stuff to start out with. Hopefully won't have to spend much have some things I'm trying to trade but cash is there if I need it. Anyways hello again and any help with the above and I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Shawn

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Re: Semi New to the forum (hopefully coming around this time)

Post by Nefariousfiend on 22nd February 2013, 6:15 pm

14 views and no replys.. I swear I don't bite again really looking for some help and input. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum or thread?

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by allout on 22nd February 2013, 9:33 pm

welcome back , we are working on getting the new TFAA training center open on a set game day with time it will be there shooting for 2 games a month to start with , as for what AEG to go with thats a hard one best thing is to read up as much as you can all over the net , then go with a style you like or you can go to a few games and most players are more than willing to tell all about what they have and most will let you shoot them to see how they perform

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 22nd February 2013, 9:44 pm

Thanks Allout were the most helpful when it came to information and advice and all is appreciated. I also saw that you guys used to go to the causeway hotel to play. If I'm not mistaken I believe that was you guys. I hate that it's not available anymore that looked like a lot of fun. What would you say are the top brands right now, I don't mind going through a few. Set days would be awesome I would be able to request off just as long as I have a notice I should be able to make it. I'm living a little further away now. I'm in mobile, but the drive should be worth it. Thanks for the reply also is there any websites you guys recommend checking out? Do you still have the traveling store out of Robertsdale coming out?

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by thefrog on 23rd February 2013, 2:36 am

I am biased , but for GBBR I like the LM4 series by KWA. The rifle itself will set you back about 360 or so with 45 dollar mags. Only limiting factor is when it's below 45F , it's a pain lol

thefrog
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Redshirt on 23rd February 2013, 8:55 am

Welcome back to the forum,
I agree with both thefrog and Allout. Haunt the review sites like Airsoft Retreat and others. I also have, and love, a GBBR but must say that it is not a weapon for all occasions. While there is no substitute for the realistic function and sound, they can be finicky, sensitive to temperature, and tend to shoot a lot hotter than a stock AEG. I would start with a nice AEG, one that is handy enough to use in CQB. Later, I'd compliment that with a GBBR if that's where you want to go. I can be your go-to gun for open field games while the AEG handles close games or fills in for long games if it's cold or the GBBR has other issues. A good AEG works reliably off the shelf. The better GBBRs can be reliable too, but it takes maintenance and experience to keep them there. That's why I'd recommend starting with a good AEG.

One final thought, consider your shooting style. If you're the guy that likes to shoot a lot of BBs, advance under a hail of gunfire if you will, go AEG. The GBBR is for the discriminating shooter who picks his shots or prefers a little more realism in his shots. Some AEG players will go through thousands of BBs on a Saturday. AEG or GBBR, my two sons and I will come home with half the bag of .28s we started with, enjoying no different of a kill/death ratio than the other good players, mainly because of how I was trained. If you are not experienced enough to know your style, consider that GBBRs hold less than 50 rounds per magazine. They are slow to reload in the field. The mags are $45 a piece, so you'll need a lot of them. Even with four or five mags on you, you won't have as many BBs ready to go as the kid with an AEG M-4 and a 300+ round high-capacity mag.

The traveling store is BSS Airsoft. Look them up on Facebook or PM Darkhawk (store owner) here on the forums. He's not on the forums often, so better to get the number and call. He's an excellent source of advice and fairly priced.

Redshirt

Last edited by Redshirt on 23rd February 2013, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 23rd February 2013, 10:47 am

Ya I've always been more interested in the Gbb rather than the AEGs. Thanks for the site I will be using that to get a better idea on manufacturers and certain rifles.

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Che Chuy on 23rd February 2013, 11:52 am

I will admit, I looked, but did not say anything - but to be fair, I'm in Tampa these days and have no idea what is going on with the Field.

Causeway Hotel is closed to us, for reasons beyond our control. In those days, they say she rain may never fall till after sundown. By eight, the morning fog must disappear. In short, there's simply not, a more congenial spot.

But it's gone.

I rock GBBR - love it. When I started, that's what I wanted and I was steered clear of it for competitive reasons (the low bb count, the finickiness, etc.) but have come back to it time and again, except in CQB. It IS too hot for that AND it is in no way good for speedball games.

Find out what everyone plays, game-wise, and it is true that an AEG is better for a lot of things, but read my tag line. I'm biased too.

Also - remember a sidearm in your budget - pistols are essential to some games and can give you a cheaper GBB feel if your budget constraints are an issue.

Che Chuy
Wayward Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Howie on 23rd February 2013, 3:06 pm

Yes I agree with all the above
Howie
Your the Man
Your the Man

Back to top Go down

Post by thefrog on 23rd February 2013, 3:07 pm

I am biased towards KWA pistols, they just work and mags hardly leak

thefrog
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Che Chuy on 23rd February 2013, 3:17 pm

Never had a problem with my HFC. Straight, true, reliable, CDR thought it was mean. But your mileage will vary.

Che Chuy
Wayward Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 1st March 2013, 8:35 pm

I'm trying to figure out where everyone plays and what they play. It seems like the only place near here is the Wilcox field. I really want to play airsoft but if I can't find enough people that play or a consistent spot to go to I may go back to paintball. More expensive and a little redundant but at least there are always places to play.

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Che Chuy on 1st March 2013, 8:47 pm

It's your choice.

There are two fields Wilcox and Crestview. There is supposedly one in Milton and Pensacola, but I have not been to either.

No clue where the paintball fields are.

Wilcox has moved since I was there, so the videos I have up are of a different location and don't know how the field now plays.

Crestview is near 10 acres and is a combo of speedball and limited maneuver games.

Good luck, and have fun with whichever you choose.

Che Chuy
Wayward Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 1st March 2013, 10:31 pm

ya crestview is a ways way from mobile wilcox isnt too far but I dnt see any scheduled events unless im looking in the wrong place

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by thefrog on 1st March 2013, 10:40 pm

ashton in pensacola on saturdays is mixed speedball and small woods

thefrog
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 2nd March 2013, 11:57 am

I was looking at this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . Anyone seen or used one of these? It has good reviews price is good and being a WE I'm assuming quality. I know it's a GBBR but I really can't see myself using a AEG.

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Che Chuy on 2nd March 2013, 5:18 pm

It's a WE, I own a GBB M4 of theirs and have had no real problems with them. I own and HFC pistol (which is a WE clone) and it works just fine. Some people hate them. I see no problem with them.

That being said - the magazines are the hard part as you won't be able to get as many second hand; M4's are pretty common, by the G36's ones... ...dunno...

Then there are the ancillary issues:
- Odd magazine size, so pouches may have to be gotten specifically for this.
- Accessories are a little harder to find that fit right.

Personal issue:
- While I like the look of the G36/39's, in practice, I did not like how they felt. I was surprised by this unexpected aspect when I borrowed a friends AEG.

If money is an issue, consider:
$260 KWA MP7 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
$200 G&P M4 (you assemble) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
$140 G&G M4 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's all up to you Very Happy

Che Chuy
Wayward Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allout on 2nd March 2013, 6:08 pm

i have one it works great , as chuy said mags are an odd fit for most gear

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefariousfiend on 3rd March 2013, 5:52 pm

Money isn't necassarily an issue I just liked the features and look of it. Gear compatibility isn't an issue either since I need to buy all my gear as-well. I'm just looking to stay under a grand for my first setup. I want a GBBR that has some decent distance on it. A longer barrel seems to be what I need which the G39 has. I'm open to ideas but I also don't know your field setup at Wilcox is it spread out with long distances or is it going to be CQB type of environment? CQB seems fun but I've always played speedball when it comes to paintball I was wanting more of an open style play not a bunch of up close bunkers running around shooting cliploads of BB's. I want the more realistic feel which is what really interests me in airsoft better accuracy, realistic rifles, etc. **Also the only airsoft gun I have shot is wally world plastic pieaces of S*** and a JG AUG that I bought for my brother for Christmas. So all I'm going off of right now is reviews and videos. If I go with AEG I think I will be looking at the sr 25 and magpul masada (again really prefer GBBR) With GBBR the only thing I don't want is an ak or m4. I know with the M4 is easy to get upgrades and find them everywhere. That's the problem I don't really prefer the look and every seems to have atleast one. Ak I just dont like the look or feel of an ak. Sorry so long, just giving you some of my thoughts and findings and any input on this again is very helpful. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Nefariousfiend
Meat Puppet
Meat Puppet

Back to top Go down

Post by Che Chuy on 3rd March 2013, 6:40 pm

I understand _exactly_ where you are coming from.

The bare bones truth -

- You'll be out of the game fast, in closer games when your ammo runs out.
- A secondary weapon is essential.
- GBBR's are too hot for CQB.
- AEG's are as accurate as GBBR's, and possibly more, as there are more AEG options.

Consider the FN SCAR as an option.

If you really don't want an AEG at all, consider the pump shotgun for CQB game, particularly tri-shots. Wielded properly, can be very competitive. And they rock.

Che Chuy
Wayward Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down